This post left anonymously
Since writing this post Anonymous may have helped people, but has not within the last 4 days.
Post Tags (7)
yes it is it a more creamier version of chocolate. and its not ccoloate tht kills dogs its the caffine in chocolate. so anything with caffine is poisonous to dogs. so yes even white chocolate.
p.s. my dog ate 2 hershey kisses once and he was fine just had a little stomache he did.
i thought it was the coco bean in the chocolate
but yea either way its still bad for them
chances are it wont hurt it unless they eat a lot of it.
yea its bad for them and also
white chocolate is sooo good =D
i dont think it is good but just a tiny piece wont hurt
my dog die in May, when she was little my sister got a 2Lb Hershey kiss and my dog ate the whole thing. over the years my dog ate boxes of sees and tons of other chocolate. advent calendars, chocolate easter bunnies ect. at night my dad used to eat a whole row of oreo’s and she would get a couple. so it depends on the dog. she died of old age, she was 12, a wire hair fox terrier, named Tootsie :)
raisins, or grapes, kill dogs also.
stay away from those.
I wouldn’t give dogs any kind of chocolate. They also shouldn’t have tomatoes, cherries, strawberries, and any type of coin they may swallow (laying aorund on the floor somewhere) can kill them too.
y dont u ask a vet?
It is not the chocolate per se that kills, nor the caffeine, although it can cause a very large increase in heart rate, not good for an older dog. It is the theobromine, and feeding any chocolate to a dog is deadly, not because a small amount is deadly, but because you have now introduced the dog to the smell and taste of chocolate, and it might find a large stash of chocolate or worse, find baker’s chocolate which contains ten to twelve times the amount of theobromine. In humans this is absorbed more slowly into the bloodstream and most humans are larger and heavier and oour systems seem to better handle this compound than do canines. Remember, it is difficult for dogs to “throw up” with any poisonous or
“bad food” so they have to purge via urination or excretion, much slower methods.
Don’t be foolish and suggest that chocolate is harmless to dogs…too many silly and curious folks ou there will end up with a very sick or dead “best friend!”
Zenbob (Dog breeder for over twelve years)
Yes,Zenbob is correct! Although dogs can and will throw up anything, it might not be in time to rid the body of Theobromine. In fact vomiting is one of the ways that a dog that has eaten enough chocolate to make it sick will respond in the early stages of poisening. If you want to learn more about how chocolate and dogs don’t mix you might want to visit the sight I have listed below. If it dosn’t work then go to about.com and look up the vet’s sight ;)
ALL chocolate is bad for dogs…believe me I have a kennel of 30 dogs.
I read in K9 magazine that because white chocolate is made from cocoa butter (as opposed to cocoa beans) it is safe for dogs.
dont feed any chocolate to your dogs people. theobromine is in chocolate, it is poisonous to dogs and causes nausea, diahrrea and hyperactivity
* White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.
* Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.
* Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog.
* Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers’ chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog.
-Cited from http://www.dogownersdigest.com/news/l…
Basically, White chocolate is completely harmless in amounts that even humans would consider to be a lot to eat. A 20 pound dog would have to eat 250 pounds of white chocolate for the theobromine to actually effect the dog in a harmful way.
The part of chocolate that is bad for the canine is the chocolate alcohol… the cocoa or caffeine has nothing to do with it. White chocolate doesn;t have chocolate alcohol, so its not real chocolate, but i it still poisonous?
Your wrong, as stated in above posts, the poisonous part of chocolate is the ingredient known as Theobromine. White chocolate barely contains even traces of this, therefore it is virtually harmless.
I love it when people reply to stuff like this when they have NO IDEA what they are talking about.
You are so right!It is the theobromine!If you give a dog a little too much chocolate,it will feel ill and start throwing up or having diarea.It may also be more active,pee a lot a drink a lot of water,and have an irregular heartbeat!
White chocolate is also made with cocoa butter, but a much smaller amount than nilk chocolate.
Most of the white chocolate we have in this country does not contain cocoa butter, but is made with vegetable shortening.
European white chocolate does contain cocoa butter, but dark chocolate is what is most dangerous.
Cocoa butter has only a mild chocolate flavor and aroma, and is the only cocoa ingredient used in white chocolate.
Cocoa butter is only one of the ingredients used in making REAL chocolate.
Chocolate comprises a number of raw and processed foods that originate from the bean of the tropical cacao tree.
The chemical that does the dmage is Theobromine.
Here is the information of what theobomine does to animals.
Toxicity in animals
Main article: theobromine poisoning
In sufficient amounts, the theobromine found in chocolate is toxic to animals such as horses, dogs, parrots, small rodents, and cats (kittens especially) because they are unable to metabolise the chemical effectively. If they are fed chocolate, the theobromine will remain in their bloodstream for up to 20 hours, and these animals may experience epileptic seizures, heart attacks, internal bleeding, and eventually death. Medical treatment involves inducing vomiting within two hours of ingestion, or contacting a veterinarian.
A typical 20-kilogram dog will normally experience great intestinal distress after eating fewer than 240 grams (8.47 oz) of dark chocolate, but will not necessarily experience bradycardia or tachycardia unless it eats at least a half a kilogram (1.1 lbs) of milk chocolate. Dark chocolate has 2 to 5 times more theobromine and thus is more dangerous to dogs. According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, approximately 1.3 grams of baker’s chocolate per kilogram of a dog’s body weight (0.02 oz/lb) is sufficient to cause symptoms of toxicity. For example, a typical 25-gram (0.88 oz) baker’s chocolate bar would be enough to bring about symptoms in a 20-kilogram (44 lb) dog. Of course, baking chocolate is rarely consumed directly due to its unpleasant taste, but other dark chocolates’ canine toxicities may be extrapolated based on this figure. Large dogs such as ****. Bernards or Rottweilers are somewhat less susceptible to poisoning, but as dogs like the taste of chocolate products as much as humans do, they should still be kept out of their reach; treats made from carob are a good substitute and pose no threat. There are reports that mulch made from cacao bean shells is dangerous to pets (and other animals) 
The amount, if any, of Theobomine in white chocolate would be minimal, and should if given a tiny bit ( less than 1 ounce) should pose little or no threat.
There is NO Theobomine in carob, so chocolate flavored, made with carob poses no threat at all.
White chocolate made with vegetable oil rather than cocoa butter would pose no threat at all.
The chemical in chocolate that causes dogs to become ill is theobromine. White chocolate is not made with cocoa, but cocoa butter which does not contain theobromine (negligible trace amounts). So logic would dictate that white chocolate should be safe.
choc choc is toxic to dogs a 100 pound dog or well over cannot get sick but well under of 100 pounds will get sick. vomiting and diarrhea may happen and it may take days to get digested but the dog should be better afterwards.
um do you guys watch dogs 101 great tips
It isnt poisonous to dogs. otherwise they wouldnt make dog treats with it.
My dog has eaten a Hershey Cookies & Cream, and I’m not sure if it’s safe. Can anyone check up on this? Thanks.
It is the Theobromine and caffeine in chocolate that is toxic to dogs.
White chocolate does NOT contain either of these ingredients.
In short, white chocolate is not toxic to dogs!
I have Huskies and they have a very strong stomach but, I still don’t give them chocalate or chicken bones. If, you need to make your dog throw up, use peroxide. It also depends on the size of the dog on how much chocolate they can eat. My dogs get into everything. I had a Husky that ate all my pain pills! They were oxy’s 30mg! I thought for sure he would die but he didn’t even get sick! All my dogs are 50+ lbs. (except one) and we never have enough chocolate in the house.
Invite Others to Help
A logged in and verified Help.com member has the ability to setup a Friends List and invite others to help with posts.